Ladies, we’ve all been guilty of keeping hair extensions in for too long. At least I know I have! I mean, there were times when my hair extensions were hanging on to nothing more than a prayer and a dream. And I was absolutely shameless! You couldn’t tell me anything!
Then one faithful day, I realized that I was losing my hair! Something had to give. And it certainly wasn’t going to be any more of my hair! I soon discovered (the hard way) that I was keeping my hair extensions installed for far too long. I needed to transition into better weave-wearing practices.
So after months of trial and error, I came up with a list of tell-tell signs that will help us all determine when it’s time to just…let…go.
Let’s get started!
1. Unruly New Growth. If your new growth has caused your hair extensions to “grow” from 12 to 20 inches, I think it’s time to uninstall. New growth is great. But after being tucked away for so long, it starts to wrap around itself and cause irreparable damage.
2. Unpleasant Odor. If you’ve ever worn hair extensions, you already know the smell! The one that shampoo and conditioner can’t mask. Yea, that one. Let’s keep it real! Nobody wants to smell that. So if you ever notice an unpleasant order originating from above your neck, I’d recommend uninstalling and giving your natural hair a good wash down.
3. Tracks Hanging On For Dear Life. Bobby pins can only do so much! If there’s ever a point where you have 50+ pins holding up 2.2 tracks, let it go! Just uninstall.
4. Permanent Ponytail. Hair extensions are not cheap. And I don’t know about you all, but I don’t buy them to keep them trapped in a permanent ponytail. If you find that your tresses have lost their lust for life, go ahead and put them out of their misery. They shouldn’t have to live like that. And neither should you!
5. Shedding. If you’re leaving behind more hair than a cancerous kitten, the only thing left to do is uninstall. Seriously. There is no bigger crime in life than leaving behind trails of hair everywhere! Uninstall. Trust me, the remote, the kitchen sink, the mattress and the children will thank you!
And that’s it! These five simple tips will save us all from unnecessary headaches and hair loss. And I’m sure there are even more helpful tips! So if you think of any others, please feel free to leave them in a comment down below!